Parents' Association News & Events


Zoom Meeting

14 Apr 2021


Dear Parents,


Can you join us for a Zoom meeting on Thursday 15th April at 8pm?


I am sure you will have guessed that trying to organise a 10k race in the midst of a pandemic is throwing up a whole host of hurdles to overcome! Whilst these complications can all be overcome, the restrictions that we are now having to put on the race mean that the race experience is going to be quite different from previous years.


Due to COVID-security measures we now know that:

  • We cannot have any spectators at the event
  • We cannot have Ripon band playing at the event on The Hill of Pain
  • We have to have a strict start protocol which allows all runners to maintain 2m social distance in the pre-race holding area. This means that the start of the 10k race will have to be moved, with the pre-race holding area being in the community park (if possible).
  • The fun run will have to be cancelled to reduce social mixing and facilitate social distancing
  • Social distancing measures have to be implemented throughout the venue, with a one-way system and queue system in the indoor toilets and at other areas where people may congregate.
  • Attempts have to be made to avoid areas of congregation at the venue, which means that we cannot have any catering facilities, no other vendors, and no race registration on the race day (race packs have to be sent out in advance).
  • Runners have to leave the venue as soon as they finish the race, and there can be no prize giving ceremony this year.


At some point, we have to ask ourselves what the cost vs benefit is of persevering with the plan to hold the race on the 16th May, versus postponing it until July when (hopefully) some of the social distancing restrictions will be lifted, and we may be able to provide an event more like the one everyone has come to know and love.


Unfortunately, rescheduling the event is likely to cause disappointment for many who have their hopes set on attending the race on 16th May, some of whom might not be able to attend the rescheduled date.


We need to decide whether the benefits of rescheduling the race outweigh the possible negative aspect of some entrants being disappointed or frustrated that the race has been postponed.....again!


It is a really big decision, and I would really appreciate your help in making it if possible! If you can make it, then I would appreciate it if you could attend the Zoom meeting on Thursday 15th April at 8pm. To join the meeting, please click on this link at the allocated time:

Join Zoom Meeting


I look forward to seeing as many of you there as possible, to help share the burden of responsibility and help us to all come to a decision that we are comfortable with!


Many thanks


Hannah x

Go to the page-top

Please wait

Copyright © 2022  Grewelthorpe C of E Primary School    Website Terms & Conditions

Selct an hour and a minute and then click on Set Time

Selected Time:  _:_

Set Time